Aug 24, 2010

I got a new dog last week.  She has been called Koko by her previous owners, though I want to change her name... just don't know what to yet.  She is a mixed breed dog and I am used to having purebred dogs, but oh well.  From what I'm told, her father is pure Rottweiler... her mother is 1/2 Great Pyrenees, 1/4 each German Shepard & Black Lab. She is pretty, and fairly docile, though is also something of a problem dog.  She is used to living at the far end of a dirt road, out in the middle of nowhereville, with a family and 3 other dogs.  I live on a very busy highway, no kids & no other dogs.  So far, I have put her into Reba's run 3 times.  In 11 1/2 years, Reba never got out of that pen and likely never tried.... this dog (for now I will refer to her as Dawg) has gotten out 2 of the 3 times.  The first time she was gone all night and didn't get back until noonish... the last time she got out around 8-9am and didn't come home until around 6pm the next day!! I had thought she was gone for good and am sad to say but was quite okay with that, so when she came trotting up the driveway looking pleased with herself, I was a bit disappointed to see her.  Oh well, we will both get used to each other in time.  I was told that she was a total outdoor dog... then I drove 130k to get her & drove drove another 130k to bring her home with me... then through email I found out she used to be allowed inside the house and up on the furniture!!!  So not only does she come with a pretty face, but also with a package of bad habits that I will have to break!!  I now have her on lead at all times, day & night, inside & out.  She is in 'full training mode', so for the next month or so we will be tied to each other. She will learn to keep her feet & mouth off the counters, to stay off the furniture, to quit chewing my shoes & socks... as well as the usual sit, down, stay type stuff, and I will do more repairs on the dog run so she can't get out when I have to leave her home.  She eventually will learn to not howl/whine/bark when I'm further than 2 feet from her.  I will learn to be more patient.  Yup, a growing & learning experience for us both.  I am now wondering what was I thinking... and knowing I should have waited longer & gotten a 7-8 week old rather than a 5+ month old with issues.  Oh well... here we go...

No comments: