Nov 2, 2007

A Note From Mom

I have a house full of animals and most of them have come to me free off the internet. For the most part, they have come to me healthy and happy, which is a real blessing and something I am very grateful for. I believe all animals should be treated with love and kindness.

I got a pair of budgie birds at one point. They are not at all friendly with me, though are in love with each other, always kissing and such, lol. Lady Bird has a bit of a problem with her beak, though, in that it grows and grows and I have to catch her from time to time to cut it back so she can eat. Not pleasant for me or her, and Tom Tom also gets upset when I chase them around the cage to make the catch, then he hears his lady love when she's squawking her unhappiness to the world. When I do this, I get bitten ... a lot... and it hurts. James, my other budgie came to me more recently from someone who had caught her in a parking lot in Calgary and brought her home to here then wanted to find her a home. She obviously has issues. When ever I put my hand into the cage for any reason, she goes after it to bite me as hard and as often as she possibly can. OUCH! I bought one of those big rope toys for dogs and hung it up in Jamie's cage. She chews and rips at it, I can hear her snapping the threads in it, and this rope in now in pretty 'ruff' shape. I've been working at taming her. A gal at one of the local pet stores said to tame the budgies they have for sale, she holds them and pets them for awhile to get them used to it, they bite but she doesn't let them know it hurts or they'd keep doing it. She said it only takes one or two times of this and the bird is tame and sits on her fingers and such. I've done this with Jamie so many times now that I've lost count. Mostly I can take the pain of her bites, but some days, like today, it's all I can do to not scream and squash the little bitc_.... ummm, errrr... little bitty birdy, ya, that's what I was going to say.... little bitty birdy. She is starting to be a bit tamer, but not a lot. I obviously have a long ways to go yet... but she will either love me one day or she will find a way to kill me.

Hmmmm... maybe I need to check out some term life insurance quotes, life and injury insurance might be just the ticket here.

No comments: